The publication of University of Health Sciences, Istanbul Sisli Hamidiye Etfal Medical Practice and Research Center

Online article submission system has been turned over to eJManager. We kindly request you to submit your current article or new articles via eJManager system

          VOLUME 48 / ISSUE 1

The Journal is Indexed in

1 - The effect of antenatal steroid on the early outcome of premature infants

Ali Bülbül, Filiz Özkaya Gül, Sinan Uslu, Ebru Türkoğlu Ünal, Mesut Dursun, Umut Zübarioğlu, Aslan Babayiğit, Asiye Nuhoğlu

Objective: The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of antenatal steroid (AS) administration on the early outcome of premature infants.

Method: The data of premature infants with gestational ages ?34 weeks who were admitted to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit between 2008 and 2012 were analysed retrospectively.

Infants with major congenital anomalies and borned out of our hospital our hospital were excluded from the study. According to the application of AS infants were divided into 3 groups: completed cure, incompleted cure and without application. The results of early period mortality and morbidity were compared between the three groups.

Results: During this time period 547 infants were borned. The study was completed with 504 infants because of 17 infants have congenital abnormalities and 26 infants referred to different hospitals. In the first 28 days of life 41 (8.1%) infants died. In our study, AS application were found as 20.8% (n=105) of completed cure, 13.3% (n=67) of the incompleted cure with the total of 34.1%. In the infants who were administered completed cure AS, the mortality ratio, the incidence of proven sepsis and ROP were found low statistically (p values: 0.001, 0.02, <0.001, respectively). The length of stay at hospital was significantly higher in infants without application (p: 0.03).

Conclusion: Preterm infants who applicated AS with completed cure had lower incidence of mortality, proven sepsis and ROP. On the other hand in infants without AS application had longer duration of hospitalization. In our country AS application rate is very low and development of appropriate health policies needed for the widespread use of AS.

Keywords: Antenatal steroid, preterm, outcome, mortality

To read full article click

Home Page       Editorial       Editorial Board       Advisory Board       Information for Authors       Contact       Archive

Copyright ® 2011 Sisli Etfal Hastanesi Tıp Bülteni